Tony Elumelu was born in 1963 at Jos, Nigeria, he is popularly called Elumelu. He is an economist by profession, a philanthropist, and an entrepreneur. He is also a recipient of many awards of excellence and patriotism.
- Elumelu obtained his first degree in economics from Ambrose Ali University and his master degree in economics from the University of Lagos, Lagos Nigeria.
- Tony is also an alumnus of Harvard University Advanced Management Programme.
Tony Elumelu Career
- Elumelu acquired Standard Trust Bank and turn the struggling bank into one of the leading financial institution in Nigeria before the merger.
- He led the highest merger in the history of banking industry in Nigeria and acquired the largest pan African Bank (UBA). He was the Managing Director of UBA till his retirement in 2010.
- He is the chairman of Heirs Holding, the organisation invests in the financial services, energy, real estate and hospitality, agribusiness, and healthcare sectors.
- His Heirs Holdings company acquired a controlling interest in the Transnational corporation of Nigeria Plc (Transcorp).
- Elumelu also serves as both and advisor and member of the Global Advisory Board of the United Nations Sustainable Energy for All Initiative and USAID’s Private Capital Group for Africa Partners Forum.
You have you read my post on Causes and Solution to Economic recession in Nigeria?
Achievements and Awards
- Elumelu is the advocate of Africapitalism. It is an economic philosophy or ideology advocating for private sector involvement in the transformation Africa through long term investment.
- He is the pioneer and chairman of Elumelu foundation. The mission of the organisation is to drive Africa economic development through evolving the competitiveness of the African private sector.
- He is the co-chairman of the 26th World Economic Forum on Africa in Kigali, Rwanda 2016.
- He was awarded the honour of Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR), a national honour.
- He was also voted African Business Leader of The Year by the Africa Investor magazine and was equally recognised as the African Banker of the Year in 2008 by the African Banker magazine.
- He has been listed among the top 20 leaders in Africa by Forbes Magazine, and other many leadership awards.