Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala is from Ogwashi-Ukwu, Delta State, where her father Professor Chukwuka Okonjo is the Eze (King(economist)). She is by far the most prominent Nigeria economist judging by her achievement, profile and awards. She is the only Nigeria economist listed in fortune top 50 world leader. She is the only Nigeria economist that has receive greatest number of awards from international body.
- Dr Okonjo is both a graduate of International school of Ibadan and Harvard university with an AB in Economics in 1976, PhD in regional economics and development from MIT in US in 1981 and an International Fellowship from the American Association of University Women (AAUW).
- She has served as Nigeria finance minister under two president- President Olusegun Obasanjo and Dr. Ebele Goodluck Jonathan. She has equally served as foreign minister and a cordinating minister in Nigeria.
- She has served as a Managing Director in World Bank where she had oversight responsibility for the World Bank’s $81 billion operational portfolio in Africa, South Asia, Europe and Central Asia.
- Okonjo-Iweala has also served as a Member of the Governing Council of Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority where she provides advice and counsel to the Board of Directors.
- An Adviser to World Bank on the Stolen Assets Recovery initiative, as Vice President and Corporate Secretary, Director of Operations in the Middle East and North Africa region. She has equally served as a Governor of Islamic Development Bank and Director of World Resource Institute in World Bank.
- She joined Lazard as a Senior Advisor in 2015 and was equally appointed Chair of the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization (GAVI)
Dr Okonjo Ngozi Achievement
- First Nigerian economist to be listed in Fortune Magazine top 50 world famous leaders in 2015.
- During her first job as Nigeria finance minister she headed negotiations that led to cancellation of Nigeria’s debt to Paris Club of about US$30.
- She also headed the Growing Girls and Women in Nigeria Programme (GWIN) and the Youth Enterprise with Innovation programme (You WIN). The programme developed many entrepreneur creating thousands of jobs.
- She headed the team alongside Nigeria Bureau of Statistics who sucessfully rebased Nigeria GDP that led Nigeria to become the largest economy in Africa.
- She spearheaded the economy of Nigeria within the time when the country witnessed its lowest inflation rate and most impressive GDP growth.
Dr Okonjo Ngozi Awards and Honour
- Devex, Women Power with Purpose, 2016
- Fortune,50 Greatest World Leaders,2015
- David Rockefeller Bridging Leadership Award, 2014
- TIME, 100 Most Influential People in the World, 2014
- Africa Investor Magazine, Finance Minister of the Year, 2014
- Forbes Magazine, 100 Most Powerful Women in the World, 2014
- Forbes Magazine, 100 Most Powerful Women in the World, 2013
- Forbes Magazine, 100 Most Powerful Women in the World, 2012
- Forbes Magazine, 3 Most Powerful Women in Africa, 2012
- Silverbird Woman of the Year. 2012
- Foreign Policy, 100 Global Thinkers, 2012
- Foreign Policy, 100 Global Thinkers, 2011
- Forbes Magazine, 100 Most Powerful Women in the World, 2011
- Forbes Magazine, 10 Most Influential Women in Africa, 2011
- The Guardian UK Newspaper, 100 Women in the World, 2011
- Newsweek Magazine, Top 150 Women in the World, 2011
- President of the Italian Republic Gold Medal by the Pia Manzu Centre, 2011
And over 20 other awards not included in this article. To get the full details of all her awards please kindly visit. Wikipedia
You can also read the full details of the Top Nigerian economist please, if you think there is any omission, drop it at the comment box.